Saturday, May 12, 2007

Literary Meme: What Are You Reading?

Was over at Right Reason trying to find out the latest with regards to Dr. Francis Beckwith's decision to return to the Catholic Church and I found this:

I don't usually do "memes," but I like this one:

1. Grab the nearest book.

2. Open it to page 161.

3. Find the fifth full sentence.

4. Post the text of the sentence along with these instructions.

5. Don't search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.

I have two books side by side. So here are both:

"For he looked every minute of a hundred years old!" (Leon Bloy, The Woman Who Was Poor)

and

"'But I must take it off over there.'" (dialogue from "Drinks in Helsinki" in Roger Scruton's Gentle Regrets)

And as Maxwell Goss says at Right Reason:

"Feel free to post your own sentences in the comments, readers .... It'll be fun to see what y'all are reading." You can do so below by clicking the comments.

4 comments:

Fred said...

Two books, equidistant: Discovery of God by Henri de Lubac and Seeing the Form by Balthasar.

DG:
"So God interests us eternally - and everything else in God through its participation in his infinity."

StF (B's 5th sentence, skipping over the block quote):
"Time and again Thomas speaks of the growth of an intellectual relation and proportion to these mysteries which is fundamental not only for their perception but even for the very desire to strive for them."

bgeorge77 said...

"All I knew was that I was going mad, but for the sake of my sanity, and dying that I might live, aware of the evil that I was but unaware of the good I was soon to become." Confessions - St. Augustine.

And hey Deep Furrows. The giant block of Latin on p 161 of Seeing the Form gave me a headache, but I figured it out. Scroll down a bit to see it.

Anonymous said...

"'You'll see,' Mattie said."
Book: The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver.

"Hemingway tried to insert these libels into To Have and Have Not (1937) but was obliged by his publishers, on legal advice, to cut them."
Book: Intellectuals by Paul Johnson

Fred said...

Wow, Ben. You guys are really cranking. I'll never read the whole trilogy, but I'll probably read vol 1 and vols 2 & 3 again.
Fred