Saturday, September 09, 2006

Help Wanted: Best British Poems

I am trying to come up with a Top 9 of British poems and/or almost poems. I require my high school students to memorize one poem a month. Sometimes, it is technically not a poem but a selection from a larger work that I treat as a poem, such as the "Song of the Witches" from Macbeth: "Double, double toil and trouble; / Fire burn and caldron bubble."

Any suggestions you may have are very much welcome. Just post them or their titles in the comments section below or email me.

One a month for nine months.

I have a few already set because of the holiday/liturgical seasons.

2 comments:

Fred said...

Here's several:

GM Hopkins: "The Caged Skylark," Inversnaid, "Spring and Fall;"
Tennyson: perhaps "Flower in the Crannied Wall";
Donne: "Death Be Not Proud"
Herbert: "Easter Wings";
Milton: "Methought I Saw My Late Espoused Wife";
Spencer: "Amoretti #75: One day I wrote her name upon the strand"; almost any other sonnet from Amoretti would do just as well;

Kathy Carroll said...

W., fine choices listed already.

Wordsworth is my favorite English poet, 2 of his that are high school length:
"My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold"
"The World Is Too Much With Us"

Tennyson is excellent, very melodic with vivid imagery:
"Break, Break, Break"
"Crossing the Bar"
(I memorized those in HS, and not because the teacher told me to.)

A little Byron never hurts, try "She Walks In Beauty"

Finally, you can't go wrong with Shakespeare's sonnets. Numbers 116 or 18 will catch a teenager's attention.

I'm ready to go read some poetry now ~ enjoy the school year.

Regards,
Kathy