Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Fullness of Days Ahead

This is the beginning of a very powerful set of days. Days that lend themselves to much contemplation ... and action. Let alone is the fact that today's readings (especially the Gospel passage) are themselves suggestive.

Tomorrow is the feast day of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (and I will definitely celebrate it and honor it with a feast as I gather with some friends from CL), which is followed by St. Stephen of Hungary. Then as the days roll on, we have St Jane Frances de Chantal, St John Eudes, and one of my favorites: St. Bernard.

This Mellifluous Doctor is known for many things, but one that is most dear to me is his commentary on the Song of Songs (or you can find them here). These sermons are seeped and soaked deeply with the effulgence of Divine Love. One cannot do wrong by turning to St. Bernard for expression of God's love for us, for the extent of God's longing and self-emptying--His kenosis--in order that man be redeemed and join Him in the heavenly banquet. I strongly recommend reading the first volume of these sermons. It is bound to whet your appetite for more of the Divinely-inspired mellifluous musings.

Then we progress towards the Queenship of Our Lady (a day that is the anniversary of my marian consecration, which I did at the Rue du Bac in Paris during World Youth Day '97), St Rose of Lima, St. Bartholomew, a few others, and culminate (for some) in the feast days of St. Monica and the Beheading of John the Baptist. A whirlwind of saints.

Aside from tutoring, working on my "play" paper, and coaching soccer practices, I will do as I did for St. Thomas and have a feast in St. Bernard's honor, having built up to that day by enjoying my time re-reading some of his sermons, most especially those on the Song of Songs:

O that you would kiss me with the kisses of your mouth! For your love is better than wine, your anointing oils are fragrant, your name is oil poured out; therefore the maidens love you. Draw me after you, let us make haste. The king has brought me into his chambers. We will exult and rejoice in you; we will extol your love more than wine; rightly do they love you.

2 comments:

Kathy Carroll said...

Wonderful! Thank you for linking to the refresher on Summa Theologica. My favorite proof has always been the "first cause uncaused."
How's your soccer star?
K.

Anonymous said...

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 16, 2005
Filed at 11:11 a.m. ET

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- A plane carrying vacationers from the French Caribbean island of Martinique crashed Tuesday in western Venezuela after reporting engine trouble, and at least 160 people aboard were feared dead.

(If man were meant to fly, then God would have given him wings.)